Naden is the name of a valley in what was Spotland township, Rochdale parish. Naden was first recorded in 1107, it was also mentioned in the Coucher Book of Whalley Abbey in the 13thC.
A general history of Spotland with a footnote (6) about Naden can be found here in the Victoria County History of Lancashire.
Naden (“Nauden” as it was in medieval times)was mentioned in a grant to Stanlaw Abbey (the monks later moved to Whalley).
“de Naden” Origin of the Name
According to this history (Victoria County History), land was granted to Gilbert de Notton when he married Margery, the daughter of Hugh de Elland.
“It gave a name to the immediate holders. Maud widow of Thomas de Naden claimed dower in a messuage and land in Wolstenholme in 1277 against Roger son of Robert de Naden; De Banco R. 21, m. 5 d, 58″ – Volume V Victoria County History Of Lancashire Spotland p. 206-213
This charter also mentions Naden Brook and is a transcript from Volume III of the Coucher Book of Whalley Abbey, published by the Chetham Society in the 19th. Century.
Naden Head – Holt’s Spotland Manor House
By the 16th. Century the land at Naden had been aquired by a member of the Holt family, and the hall there was known as Naden Head.
“In a deed of partition in 1534 part of the land is called Nadenland in Spotland, Thomas Holt and Ralph Naden being tenants; Robert Holt paid 6d. for the attachment of a mill in Wolstenholme, and there were other messuages and lands in Spotland and Hundersfield; Raines D. in the Chetham Library.”
‘Townships: Spotland’, A History of the County of Lancaster: Volume 5 (1911), pp. 206-213 footnote 33. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=53029 Date accessed: 18 August 2010.
The site of the hall and outbuildings (it was later a farm) can still be seen, there is more about Naden Head here.
Read more about the Naden family name here.
Natt Bank, Meeting Place for the Manor Court of Spotland
Natte Bank was in Bamford, a detached township of Middleton Parish. Yet this was the place that Holt’s Manor Court met in the 16th Century. The minor name Natt Bank can be found in the 19th. C. first series OS maps of the area.
Aerial View of Natt Bank.
Here, east of Crimble Lane.
The Claim to The Manor of Spotland
Since Whalley Abbey held so much land in Spotland in the medieval period they claimed the rights to the manor of Spotland and came into conflict with the manor of Rochdale on one occasion. After the dissolution of the monastereies, the Abbey land in Spotland was aquired by a member of the Holt family. They continued to claim the rights to the Manor of Spotland and it is clearly recorded in the Rochdale Manor Court Records that Holt held his court a Natt Bank, overlooking the river Roche and in Middleton Parish. Natt Bank was to just the South of Spotland, but not in Rochdale Parish.